Come join our team at Dartmouth Metals where we strive to be industry leaders in metal recycling. At Dartmouth Metals we recycle metals with the most modern equipment.
The Heavy Equipment Mechanic will work on electrical, hydraulics, brakes, and suspension. This position will expose the candidate to a wide variety of interesting services and repair tasks. The Mechanic must possess knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Service modern equipment including material handlers, loaders, bobcats, forklifts, manlifts, large metal shredder, shears, etc.
- Clean, lubricate and perform other preventative maintenance of equipment as per service schedule.
- Record repairs and maintenance performed.
- Repair and replace damaged or worn parts.
- Test mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturer’s specifications.
- Keep the workplace clean and organized.
- Provide assistance throughout the yard as needed.
- 3-5 years of experience
- Respect of health safety measures
- Capacity to perform physical work
- Experience with transport trucks and trailers will be considered an asset
- Hold a professional diploma in heavy vehicle mechanic
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals
This position is regularly exposed to all weather conditions. Physical hazards such as noise, fumes, and dirt are present due to the equipment, machinery, and scrap as would be found throughout the scrap yard. Safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, and face shields must be worn to eliminate the risks associated with these hazards. Travel is not required for this position.
Handling multiple issues regarding safety and maintenance increases pressure. Work load may be unpredictable and pressure can be substantial during peak times. Critical deadlines require considerable adaptability. Disturbances of work flow and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Possibility of overtime. Ongoing industrial training.
Full-time, Monday – Friday
Scrap Shredder Helper
Secondary (High School Graduation)
7 Months to less than 1 year
Steel-toed safety boots
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
Repetitive tasks; Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding; Manual dexterity; Attention to detail; Hand-Eye Co-ordination; Combination of sitting, standing, walking; Standing for extended periods; Fast paced environment.
Work Site Environment
Dependable; Team Player; Flexible
Feed conveyors, crushers and other equipment; Clean machines and immediate work area.
Up to 45 kg (100 lbs)
Scrap metal yard/depot