Come join our team at Dartmouth Metals where we strive to be industry leaders in metal recycling. At Dartmouth Metals we recycle metals with the most modern equipment.
The Heavy Equipment Mechanic will work on electrical, hydraulics, brakes, and suspension. This position will expose the candidate to a wide variety of interesting services and repair tasks. The Mechanic must possess knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Service modern equipment including material handlers, loaders, bobcats, forklifts, manlifts, large metal shredder, shears, etc.
- Clean, lubricate and perform other preventative maintenance of equipment as per service schedule.
- Record repairs and maintenance performed.
- Repair and replace damaged or worn parts.
- Test mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturer’s specifications.
- Keep the workplace clean and organized.
- Provide assistance throughout the yard as needed.
- 3-5 years of experience
- Respect of health safety measures
- Capacity to perform physical work
- Experience with transport trucks and trailers will be considered an asset
- Hold a professional diploma in heavy vehicle mechanic
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals
This position is regularly exposed to all weather conditions. Physical hazards such as noise, fumes, and dirt are present due to the equipment, machinery, and scrap as would be found throughout the scrap yard. Safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, and face shields must be worn to eliminate the risks associated with these hazards. Travel is not required for this position.
Handling multiple issues regarding safety and maintenance increases pressure. Work load may be unpredictable and pressure can be substantial during peak times. Critical deadlines require considerable adaptability. Disturbances of work flow and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Possibility of overtime. Ongoing industrial training.
Full-time, Monday – Friday
Scrap Shredder Helper
Secondary (High School Graduation)
7 Months to less than 1 year
Steel-toed safety boots
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
Repetitive tasks; Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding; Manual dexterity; Attention to detail; Hand-Eye Co-ordination; Combination of sitting, standing, walking; Standing for extended periods; Fast paced environment.
Work Site Environment
Dependable; Team Player; Flexible
Feed conveyors, crushers and other equipment; Clean machines and immediate work area.
Up to 45 kg (100 lbs)
Scrap metal yard/depot
Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Driver
Dartmouth Metals is an exciting place to be as a global leader in the thriving metals recycling industry. We are looking for self-motivated individuals to join our team. Our fast-paced environment features challenging and rewarding work, strong teamwork, and a commitment to providing quality products and excellent customer service. At the same time, as a growing company that has been in business for more than 40 years, Dartmouth Metals has experienced employees who have been with us for over 30 years working side-by-side with recent hires who constantly bring new ideas and energy into the company.
The Tractor Trailer Driver reports to the Operations Supervisor and Dispatchers. The Recycling Truck Driver is responsible for driving a tractor truck to transport and deliver equipment and material to the supplier, customer, storage, or processing locations while ensuring that all his/her efforts are compliant with the company Health, Safety, and Environmental standards and all applicable DOT regulations. Duties may include the operation of one or several types of loading and unloading equipment. The truck driver should possess knowledge of automatic routing equipment, relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and regulations associated with running, maneuvering, navigating, or driving vehicles. This position operates under flexible parameters. The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the position. Providing the highest quality product safely, effectively, and efficiently decreases accidents and errors and increases profits.
Job Requirements Essential Functions
- Strictly adheres to all Metals Recycling Business Health, Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers, and visitors.
- Secure material for transport using ropes, blocks, chains, or covers.
- Receive instructions from dispatch and proceed to the location for delivery or receipt of material.
- Perform pre-trip and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Maintain electronic logs of working hours, vehicle service, and repair status, adhering to state and federal regulations.
- Obtain receipts or signatures for delivered materials, and check all documentation to ensure it is complete and accurate.
- Provide backup or assistance throughout the yard as needed or assigned.
Equipment & Maintenance
- Carry needed tools and supplies from storage or trucks, and return them after use.
- Report all vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damages to the appropriate supervisor.
- Direct contact with Facilities & Operations Supervisor, Dispatcher or Terminal Operations Supervisor, and operations production employees. Face-to-face, phone, and radio communication required daily.
This position is regularly exposed to all weather conditions. Physical hazards such as noise, fumes, and dirt are present due to the equipment, machinery, and scrap as would be found throughout the scrap yard. Safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, face shields, and additional personal protective equipment as needed, must be worn to eliminate the risks associated with these hazards.
Handling multiple issues regarding safety and maintenance increases pressure. The workload may be unpredictable and pressure can be substantial during peak times. Critical deadlines require considerable adaptability. Disturbances of workflow and/or irregularities in the work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Extra hours may be required, sometimes on weekends, weekdays, and holidays.
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions
Ability to: sit constantly; stand and walk frequently on uneven ground and throughout the yard; lift and carry up to 50 pounds consistently; push and pull occasionally when moving materials; crouch or bend at the knees consistently to move or access materials or equipment; stoop or bend at the waist consistently to move materials; reach at arms length and overhead frequently; twist and turn at the neck and trunk continually; climb occasionally when obtaining items; manual dexterity required as the Recycling Truck Driver will handle, grasp, and manipulate controls and equipment constantly; arm-hand steadiness required constantly for precision work; communicate by speech and hearing continually. Visual acuity (near and far vision) needed for vehicular navigation. Mental dexterity needed as the driver will work independently while demonstrating attention to detail and continuous awareness.
- High School diploma, GED Certification, or experience in a similar role preferred.
- 3-5 years of driving experience and a valid Class 1 license required.
- Long-haul/over-the-road experience desired, but not required.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Bonus pay
- Overtime pay
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place