Come join our team at Dartmouth Metals where we strive to be industry leaders in metal recycling. At Dartmouth Metals we recycle metals with the most modern equipment.
The Heavy Equipment Mechanic will work on electrical, hydraulics, brakes, and suspension. This position will expose the candidate to a wide variety of interesting services and repair tasks. The Mechanic must possess knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Service modern equipment including material handlers, loaders, bobcats, forklifts, manlifts, large metal shredder, shears, etc.
- Clean, lubricate and perform other preventative maintenance of equipment as per service schedule.
- Record repairs and maintenance performed.
- Repair and replace damaged or worn parts.
- Test mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturer’s specifications.
- Keep the workplace clean and organized.
- Provide assistance throughout the yard as needed.
- 3-5 years of experience
- Respect of health safety measures
- Capacity to perform physical work
- Experience with transport trucks and trailers will be considered an asset
- Hold a professional diploma in heavy vehicle mechanic
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals
This position is regularly exposed to all weather conditions. Physical hazards such as noise, fumes, and dirt are present due to the equipment, machinery, and scrap as would be found throughout the scrap yard. Safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, and face shields must be worn to eliminate the risks associated with these hazards. Travel is not required for this position.
Handling multiple issues regarding safety and maintenance increases pressure. Work load may be unpredictable and pressure can be substantial during peak times. Critical deadlines require considerable adaptability. Disturbances of work flow and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Possibility of overtime. Ongoing industrial training.
Full-time, Monday – Friday
The Torch Cutter / Burner reports to the Operations Manager. The Torch Cutter / Burner is responsible for preparing purchased scrap through use of a burning torch, while ensuring that all of his/her efforts are compliant with the company Health, Safety, and Environmental standards. The Torch Cutter / Burner must possess knowledge of and be capable of wearing a respirator.
This position operates under flexible parameters. The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the position. Providing the highest quality product safely, effectively and efficiently decreases accidents and errors and increase profits.
Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
- Strictly adheres to all Metals Recycling Business Health, Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
- Examines unprepared scrap to ensure conformance with company standards. If scrap does not meet specifications, burner must cut scrap utilizing appropriate tools and equipment.
- Maintains a torching environment conducive to fire control, and is able to seek additional assistance if first efforts fail.
Equipment & Maintenance
- Detects faulty operation of equipment or defective materials and notifies proper supervisors to ensure repair.
- Consistently operates cutting torches, regulators, torch tops, cleaners, hose removal and installation tools, and water hoses.
Internal Control Responsibilities
Supports the Company’s Internal Control process which includes understanding, communicating, and complying with defined internal controls as well as suggesting and making modifications to the policies, procedures, and controls to better relate to the business. Communicates upward problems in operations, noncompliance with the code of conduct, or other policy violations or illegal actions.
This position does not encompass any supervisory responsibilities.
Direct contact with Operations Manager, and operations production employees. Communicates via face-to-face interaction.
This position is regularly exposed to all weather conditions. Physical hazards such as noise, fumes, and dirt are present due to the equipment, machinery, and scrap as would be found throughout the scrap yard. Safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, and face shields must be worn to eliminate the risks associated with these hazards.
Handling multiple issues regarding safety and maintenance increases pressure. Work load may be unpredictable and pressure can be substantial during peak times. Critical deadlines require considerable adaptability. Disturbances of work flow and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis.
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions
Ability to: lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally; crouch or bend at the knees occasionally to increase visibility; stoop or bend at the waist occasionally to increase visibility; reach at arms length frequently or overhead occasionally; twist and turn at the neck and trunk; walk frequently on uneven ground; handle and grasp a torch continually; communicate by speech and hearing continually. Visual acuity needed for close detail work. Mental dexterity needed as burner will work independently while demonstrating attention to detail and continuous awareness.
High School diploma or GED Certification required. Candidates with steady work/school attendance and dependability may also be considered. Torching experience or the ability to learn the torching proficiency preferred.
Scrap Shredder Helper
Secondary (High School Graduation)
7 Months to less than 1 year
Steel-toed safety boots
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
Repetitive tasks; Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding; Manual dexterity; Attention to detail; Hand-Eye Co-ordination; Combination of sitting, standing, walking; Standing for extended periods; Fast paced environment.
Work Site Environment
Dependable; Team Player; Flexible
Feed conveyors, crushers and other equipment; Clean machines and immediate work area.
Up to 45 kg (100 lbs)
Scrap metal yard/depot