1. What price will I get for my scrap materials?
You’ll get the best current price. We don’t post the prices on our website because the world markets fluctuate every day. Prices either do change, or can change, daily. Copper, for example, can change hourly as well as daily!
We guarantee you’ll get the most up-to-date price for your materials, so just give us a call to find out the going rate.
2. What’s the difference between ferrous and non-ferrous metal?
It comes down to iron content. Ferrous metals and alloys contain iron. Non-ferrous materials don’t.
3. Give me an example?
Ferrous metals are mild steel, carbon steel, cast iron, and wrought iron. They’re the most recycled materials in the world.
Non-ferrous metals are aluminum, brass, copper, nickel, tin, lead, zinc, gold and silver.
4. How can I tell if my metal is ferrous or non-ferrous?
If you have a magnet, you can do a test. Generally speaking, ferrous metals are magnetic and will be attracted to a magnet. Non-ferrous metals tend to be non-magnetic.
5. What’s worth more?
Non-ferrous because it’s in shorter supply. But that said, both are important and valuable to the recycling industry.
6. Is your location open to the public?
Yes, and we encourage everybody to recycle with Dartmouth Metals and be compensated at the best rate.
7. What types of businesses do you serve?
We are ready to help commercial, industrial, institutional, government and private customers of every shape and size.
8. Do you charge for your containers?
No. We don’t charge for drop off or pick up of bins and containers. There is no daily rental charge for the bins.
9. How long will it take to recycle my scrap metal or my e-waste components when I bring them in?
That depends on what and how much you bring in. Usually it takes about 10 minutes (or less) to process an individual transaction. Our staff will guide and help you throughout the process, including unloading.
10. Do you provide a pick-up service?
Yes, we have a full fleet of vehicles and bins to serve your scrap metal recycling needs. We have roll-off containers, lugger bins, all types of trailers, and a boom truck. Plus, we cut and load steel to size.
11. How do I know how much weight I have and if the weights are correct?
We have provincially certified and tested scales that you can monitor. While your materials are being weighed, you can watch the scales to confirm the weight of your materials.
12. Why should I do business with Dartmouth Metals?
There are several reasons that Dartmouth Metals stands apart from other scrap metal dealers in the region:
- Reputation & trust
- Unique blend of services & equipment
- Most extensive array of gear & machinery
- Capability & expertise
- Access to the domestic & international scrap metal market
- We pay customers more
13. What if I have a question that doesn’t appear on your website?
No worries. Just touch base with us by phone, email or our “Contact” page and we’ll get you an answer as soon as we can.